Lifestyle Sports

Friday, June 28, 2024

Fast and Easy Whole Cloth Baby Quilt

This was a lovely little project I was so excited to work on. My youngest nephew just turned one (my little brother has a baby!!) and I was looking for a personal gift to add to the "loud, noisy toy" that every auntie is obligated to give. I found th…
Read on blog or Reader
Site logo image Janome Life Read on blog or Reader

Fast and Easy Whole Cloth Baby Quilt

By trinagallop on June 28, 2024

This was a lovely little project I was so excited to work on. My youngest nephew just turned one (my little brother has a baby!!) and I was looking for a personal gift to add to the "loud, noisy toy" that every auntie is obligated to give.

I found these beautiful fabrics at a local fabric store. I love the whimsy of the top and bottom, along with the contrast the black and white stripes will add to the binding.

Whole cloth quilts are exactly that, a whole piece of fabric without all the piecing of a typical quilt. For this quilt, I used one meter of fabric on the top, and another on the bottom. The quilt binding was made from 2.5 inch strips of the striped fabric. Say that 10 times fast! lol!

To insure my binding strips were the direction I wanted, using the width of fabric meant I had to piece together several pieces together. To do this, position the fabrics right sides together at a 90 degree angle and sew diagonally. Trim the seam allowance to a 1/4 inch and press the fabric open at the fold. I made enough of this to measure around the outside of the whole cloth quilt, plus a little extra "just in case".

Next, I made my quilt sandwich. I was able to lay it out on my kitchen island and hold in place with some low tack painters tape. First, I placed the bottom of the quilt right side down.

Then, I added the quilt batting and finally the top quilt fabric, right side up. Using quilt pins, or curved safety pins, I pinned my quilt sandwich together so it wouldn't shift when I stitched through all layers with the sewing machine.

I probably spent as much time picking the right thread colour for my quilting as I did picking out my fabric selections. I love this Madeira thread as it's strong, so doesn't break easily, which is great for the repeated wear and tear and washings this baby quilt will get. And, it comes in a wide variety of colours! Any guesses on which one I decided to go with?

I'm a stickler for straight lines so I laid out my quilt grid using a chalk marker.

With everything clearly laid out, I set to work on the quilting to hold all layers together. I love using the Janome AcuFeed Flex Dual (Twin) Foot Holder with AD Foot on my Janome Skyline S9. This ensures both the top and bottom layers of the quilt move consistently and evenly under the foot, preventing unnecessary gathering or bunching of the fabric.

When I'm stitching a quilt top, I like to increase my stitch length to accentuate the quilting. This is really easy to do on the LCD touch screen of the Janome Skyline S9. Near the bottom of the screen, to the right of the presser foot icon is the stitch width, and stitch length adjustment. The typical suggested stitch length is 2.4 stitches per inch, but since I'm stitching through two layers of fabric and batting, I adjusted the stitch length to 4.5 stitches per inch. As a general rule, the thicker the layers, the longer the stitch.

How fun is this?!

Finally, my quilt is really for the binding. There are a few ways the Janome Skyline S9 can handle the bulk of the quilt sandwich and the binding fabric. For this quilt, I decided to use the Janome AcuFeed Flex Single Foot Holder and VD Foot, which is approximately a generous 1/4 inch wide. It helps make sure all the fabric layers move evenly under the foot without bunching or gathering.

I just love how this all came together!

I can't wait for my little nephew to wrap himself up in this little quilt!

Have you made a whole cloth quilt before? What is your favourite sewing gift to make?

Comment
Like
You can also reply to this email to leave a comment.

Janome Life © 2024.
Manage your email settings or unsubscribe.

WordPress.com and Jetpack Logos

Get the Jetpack app

Subscribe, bookmark, and get real‑time notifications - all from one app!

Download Jetpack on Google Play Download Jetpack from the App Store
WordPress.com Logo and Wordmark title=

Automattic, Inc.
60 29th St. #343, San Francisco, CA 94110

at June 28, 2024
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Latest from Food Politics: USDA tells dairy industry not to worry about environmental, social, and governance (ESG) overregulation

It’s Climate Week, so this seems ironically appropriate.   Never mind global warming, ruminant greenhouse gas emissions, or food safety. Y...

  • [New post] Listen
    LuciD posted: " The first duty of love is to listen. ~Paul Tillich " Respond to this p...
  • Listen
    ...
  • A Wishlist!
    It is our personal diary where all our wishes are written down. A Wishlist i...

Search This Blog

  • Home

About Me

Lifestyle Sports Return
View my complete profile

Report Abuse

Blog Archive

  • September 2026 (16)
  • August 2026 (22)
  • July 2026 (34)
  • June 2026 (41)
  • May 2026 (48)
  • April 2026 (45)
  • March 2026 (49)
  • February 2026 (45)
  • January 2026 (49)
  • December 2025 (50)
  • November 2025 (45)
  • October 2025 (48)
  • September 2025 (49)
  • August 2025 (51)
  • July 2025 (56)
  • June 2025 (45)
  • May 2025 (30)
  • April 2025 (32)
  • March 2025 (31)
  • February 2025 (25)
  • January 2025 (27)
  • December 2024 (26)
  • November 2024 (28)
  • October 2024 (29)
  • September 2024 (1602)
  • August 2024 (1542)
  • July 2024 (1563)
  • June 2024 (1584)
  • May 2024 (1696)
  • April 2024 (1567)
  • March 2024 (1976)
  • February 2024 (1977)
  • January 2024 (2065)
  • December 2023 (1865)
  • November 2023 (1376)
  • October 2023 (1078)
  • September 2023 (800)
  • August 2023 (689)
  • July 2023 (662)
  • June 2023 (650)
  • May 2023 (706)
  • April 2023 (614)
  • March 2023 (615)
  • February 2023 (582)
  • January 2023 (673)
  • December 2022 (639)
  • November 2022 (575)
  • October 2022 (576)
  • September 2022 (530)
  • August 2022 (598)
  • July 2022 (807)
  • June 2022 (985)
  • May 2022 (988)
  • April 2022 (926)
  • March 2022 (551)
  • February 2022 (426)
  • January 2022 (450)
  • December 2021 (946)
  • November 2021 (2978)
  • October 2021 (3085)
  • September 2021 (3021)
  • August 2021 (3025)
  • July 2021 (3182)
  • June 2021 (3125)
  • May 2021 (296)
Powered by Blogger.