Lifestyle Sports

Thursday, February 16, 2023

[New post] Lemony Desserts

Site logo image Suzanne posted: " Last year's birthday cake order did not go as planned, so this year I am reluctant to outsource my birthday dessert. My husband has kindly volunteered to make me whatever I want with two exceptions: he will not make a cheesecake (He made a lemon " life of a doctor's wife

Lemony Desserts

Suzanne

Feb 16

Last year's birthday cake order did not go as planned, so this year I am reluctant to outsource my birthday dessert. My husband has kindly volunteered to make me whatever I want with two exceptions: he will not make a cheesecake (He made a lemon curd cheesecake for my birthday a few years ago, and it was WONDERFUL but he said it was A Whole Big Deal and would rather not go through that again.) and he will not make a cake.

(This is a little disappointing, I have to admit, because what my heart really desires for my birthday dessert is the cake I wanted last year. A vanilla cake with lemon curd filling and a cream cheese frosting. I would be fine with a cupcake matching that description, honestly. But my husband does not make cake and he would not be able to make it until the day of my birthday anyway, so. No cake. Unless I want to make it myself, an idea which I have contemplated and discarded for its high probability of making me feel grumpy and resentful.)

(My husband did come up with a list of local bakeries that we could try instead of the one we used last year. Carla and I dutifully visited one a few weeks ago, to sample the cupcakes. They did not have anything with lemon curd, so that was a disadvantage right out of the gate. But also the frosting wasn't my favorite – I like a cream cheese frosting, not a simple buttercream because I am picky – and the vanilla cake was just okay. The other bakeries either don't have cupcakes available for sampling [and by "sampling" I mean buying, as one would normally procure a cupcake] or they don't have a cream cheese or lemon option in the lists of cakes they offer. So I think we decided that spending $40 on a cake that MIGHT be okay wasn't the best use of our money or calories.)

Anyway! Cake is passe. An entire world of lemony desserts lies at my fingertips! And yet I cannot choose among them. Care to join me in a genial overthinking of the narrowed-down (yes, I speak the truth) list of considerations? Perhaps you have strong opinions about which way I should lean? Or perhaps you have other lemony desserts to recommend that sound even better!

Lemony Options:

Lemon Bars

Pros: Delicious. Easy to make. Probably freeze well, if there are any leftover.

Cons: But which recipe??? Are they too simple to feel special? 

Magic Lemon Pudding Cake

Pros: My husband has made this before and it is truly delicious.

Cons: I am just not feeling it this year.

Lemon Curd Yogurt Cheesecake Bars

Pros: A marriage between cheesecake and lemon bars – both of which I love.

Cons: I am unfamiliar with this recipe and the blog, so can't attest to quality.

No Bake Lemon Curd Cheesecake Bars

Pros: I am sensing a theme, and that theme is cheesecake in bar form, and this addresses both points very succinctly. 

Cons: I am unfamiliar with this recipe and the blog, so can't attest to quality. Also, I apparently have a weird and heretofore unknown bias against "no bake" recipes for some reason???

Mini Lemon Curd Cheesecakes

Pros: This might be a way to sneak around my husband's no cheesecake restriction. 

Cons: Again, a new-to-me blog and recipe. Also, I'm not sure if a lemon curd swirl would give me the burst of lemon curd I'm craving. Also, should I really be trying to trick my husband into making something he does not want to make?

Lemon Curd Dessert

Pros: This looks lovely in photos, and I like the idea of pillowy whipped cream. This also has a lot of elements that seem to be popping up in my "that sounds yummy" list this year: cream cheese, lemon curd, shortbread crust.

Cons: What IS it, exactly? A bar? A pie? 

Lemon Curd Mousse

Pros: Finally, something that isn't cheesecake adjacent! This looks light and yummy and wonderful! I have never had a lemon curd mousse before and it seems like I really SHOULD do.

Cons: Will this feel about as special as eating Jello on my birthday? Hard to say.

Lemon Curd Tartlets

Pros: This is exactly the kind of thing I would buy from the pastry case of a fancy patisserie. Plus, they are very cute. 

Cons: Perhaps I would eat one and think, "Is this all?"

Lemon Supreme Pie

Pros: This looks magnificent. 

Cons: Can I really ask my husband to make a PIE from SCRATCH?

Lemon Tiramisu

Pros: I love tiramisu. Many lemon tiramisu recipes call for limoncello, which I do NOT like, and this one doesn't. 

Cons: I am suspicious of the pudding ingredient. And…there is no CURD.

Comment
Like
Tip icon image You can also reply to this email to leave a comment.

Unsubscribe to no longer receive posts from life of a doctor's wife.
Change your email settings at manage subscriptions.

Trouble clicking? Copy and paste this URL into your browser:
https://lifeofadoctorswife.wordpress.com/2023/02/16/lemony-desserts/

Powered by WordPress.com
Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play
at February 16, 2023
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Latest from Food Politics: The Cyclospora outbreak: an everyone-is-at-fault system failure: "LettuceGate"

I am outraged by the Cyclospora outbreak.   It has sickened thousands of people so far (>16, 000? ), and made some of them very sick. C...

  • [New post] Listen
    LuciD posted: " The first duty of love is to listen. ~Paul Tillich " Respond to this p...
  • A Wishlist!
    It is our personal diary where all our wishes are written down. A Wishlist i...
  • Listen
    ...

Search This Blog

  • Home

About Me

Lifestyle Sports Return
View my complete profile

Report Abuse

Blog Archive

  • July 2026 (30)
  • June 2026 (41)
  • May 2026 (48)
  • April 2026 (45)
  • March 2026 (49)
  • February 2026 (45)
  • January 2026 (49)
  • December 2025 (50)
  • November 2025 (45)
  • October 2025 (48)
  • September 2025 (49)
  • August 2025 (51)
  • July 2025 (56)
  • June 2025 (45)
  • May 2025 (30)
  • April 2025 (32)
  • March 2025 (31)
  • February 2025 (25)
  • January 2025 (27)
  • December 2024 (26)
  • November 2024 (28)
  • October 2024 (29)
  • September 2024 (1602)
  • August 2024 (1542)
  • July 2024 (1563)
  • June 2024 (1584)
  • May 2024 (1696)
  • April 2024 (1567)
  • March 2024 (1976)
  • February 2024 (1977)
  • January 2024 (2065)
  • December 2023 (1865)
  • November 2023 (1376)
  • October 2023 (1078)
  • September 2023 (800)
  • August 2023 (689)
  • July 2023 (662)
  • June 2023 (650)
  • May 2023 (706)
  • April 2023 (614)
  • March 2023 (615)
  • February 2023 (582)
  • January 2023 (673)
  • December 2022 (639)
  • November 2022 (575)
  • October 2022 (576)
  • September 2022 (530)
  • August 2022 (598)
  • July 2022 (807)
  • June 2022 (985)
  • May 2022 (988)
  • April 2022 (926)
  • March 2022 (551)
  • February 2022 (426)
  • January 2022 (450)
  • December 2021 (946)
  • November 2021 (2978)
  • October 2021 (3085)
  • September 2021 (3021)
  • August 2021 (3025)
  • July 2021 (3182)
  • June 2021 (3125)
  • May 2021 (296)
Powered by Blogger.