Lifestyle Sports

Saturday, January 7, 2023

[New post] Being Social

Site logo image Suzanne posted: " I am feeling stricken with social anxiety, Internet. STRICKEN. Here's the thing: At the beginning of the school year, a group of parents from Carla's school decided to get together semi-regularly. Varying numbers of these parents have met several time" life of a doctor's wife

Being Social

Suzanne

Jan 7

I am feeling stricken with social anxiety, Internet. STRICKEN.

Here's the thing: At the beginning of the school year, a group of parents from Carla's school decided to get together semi-regularly. Varying numbers of these parents have met several times already and I have been unable to attend a single event. I have been sad, but also relieved because OMG dealing with people. But I have also been getting more and more anxious because I realize that the more this group meets, the more cohesive it becomes, and the harder it will be to join. I already feel like I am on the fringe of any group, and my inability to attend any of the events so far has already pushed me further to the edges of this group. Does that make sense?

Now, finally, the group is getting together on a night when my husband can watch Carla! So I took a deep breath and responded that I could go. And now: stricken. 

I am Not Good in groups. I mean, I am barely okay in one-on-one situations, but in groups I just flail. I have never mastered a non-awkward way to squeeze into an already-going conversation. I feel like my small talk game is poor. I am not adept at discussing current events. I am not an interesting storyteller. Not that I even have anything interesting to say. I become overly aware of how I talk and my tongue fumbles all over itself. If more than one person looks at me expectantly, my face will burst into flames. You know how it is. (Maybe you do not, in which case can we exchange personalities for a night please?) 

HOW do I do this? My 100% serious plan is to make a (mental) list of topics I can turn to in a pinch, but… what are those topics? I feel like I am pretty good at asking people about themselves, and since I don't know a lot of these moms very well I can ask them who their kids are and what activities they're doing and how their holidays were and whether they have anything exciting planned for our upcoming four-day weekend seriously we JUST had two weeks off and what their kids think of their teachers and what books they've read and whether they saw any good movies over the break… but I don't necessarily know how to move from "bombarding a person with questions" to "real conversation." I have a hard enough time carrying on a conversation with my hairdresser, and she's just one person, and I am fairly comfortable with her. I have a hard time responding to the emails without feeling like I am dumb and everyone thinks I'm dumb. Going out to dinner with multiple people is like… more than that. Ugh ugh ugh. 

And if it's a sit-down restaurant, where do I sit? And what do I wear? And and and…? 

There are a couple of parents I do know fairly well who are in the group, and I could probably try to hang near them. But I don't want to be a GLOMMER-ONNER, you know? Plus, it would be nice to get to know new people. 

I don't even know what I am asking you. I am just nervous. And determined to go anyway, because it is good to be social and it is good to meet new people and presumably most of us will know each other and each other's kids for the next eight years at least and it is good to push outside one's comfort zone now and again… but I'm also really nervous.   

Comment
Like
Tip icon image You can also reply to this email to leave a comment.

Unsubscribe to no longer receive posts from life of a doctor's wife.
Change your email settings at manage subscriptions.

Trouble clicking? Copy and paste this URL into your browser:
https://lifeofadoctorswife.wordpress.com/2023/01/07/being-social/

Powered by WordPress.com
Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play
at January 07, 2023
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Independent - Travel: Europe - new message

- New updates !   ...

  • [New post] Listen
    LuciD posted: " The first duty of love is to listen. ~Paul Tillich " Respond to this p...
  • A Wishlist!
    It is our personal diary where all our wishes are written down. A Wishlist i...
  • Listen
    ...

Search This Blog

  • Home

About Me

Lifestyle Sports Return
View my complete profile

Report Abuse

Blog Archive

  • July 2026 (20)
  • June 2026 (41)
  • May 2026 (48)
  • April 2026 (45)
  • March 2026 (49)
  • February 2026 (45)
  • January 2026 (49)
  • December 2025 (50)
  • November 2025 (45)
  • October 2025 (48)
  • September 2025 (49)
  • August 2025 (51)
  • July 2025 (56)
  • June 2025 (45)
  • May 2025 (30)
  • April 2025 (32)
  • March 2025 (31)
  • February 2025 (25)
  • January 2025 (27)
  • December 2024 (26)
  • November 2024 (28)
  • October 2024 (29)
  • September 2024 (1602)
  • August 2024 (1542)
  • July 2024 (1563)
  • June 2024 (1584)
  • May 2024 (1696)
  • April 2024 (1567)
  • March 2024 (1976)
  • February 2024 (1977)
  • January 2024 (2065)
  • December 2023 (1865)
  • November 2023 (1376)
  • October 2023 (1078)
  • September 2023 (800)
  • August 2023 (689)
  • July 2023 (662)
  • June 2023 (650)
  • May 2023 (706)
  • April 2023 (614)
  • March 2023 (615)
  • February 2023 (582)
  • January 2023 (673)
  • December 2022 (639)
  • November 2022 (575)
  • October 2022 (576)
  • September 2022 (530)
  • August 2022 (598)
  • July 2022 (807)
  • June 2022 (985)
  • May 2022 (988)
  • April 2022 (926)
  • March 2022 (551)
  • February 2022 (426)
  • January 2022 (450)
  • December 2021 (946)
  • November 2021 (2978)
  • October 2021 (3085)
  • September 2021 (3021)
  • August 2021 (3025)
  • July 2021 (3182)
  • June 2021 (3125)
  • May 2021 (296)
Powered by Blogger.