This week has been expensive. We got plumbing 99% done. So we have to pay for that. They do have to come install some remaining things and turn on our new tankless water heater once we have electrical done. But I have started buying and picking out lights as Darren is running electrical now. We aren't changing too much of the current electrical footprint but we are changing it some. We are adding a bedroom to the main floor so we are adding in a ceiling fan. We are running more outlets for the kitchen. My stove and oven take 220 so we are running that as well. My new bathroom needs lights too. Our next door neighbor is an electrician so he will come over and check everything once Darren is done, but I trust Darren with electrical stuff since he does electrical and mechanical engineering for his day job!

The biggest purchase we made this week though wasn't just the plumber or new lights, we ended up ordering my kitchen!!!! We found out that the place we are going through for cabinets has a price increase and that the place they use for countertops has a special on quartz at the moment. So after putting in a large down payment on cabinets, we headed over to look at countertops. I am so excited for what we picked out! I am doing a two tone kitchen. Our upper cabinets will be moonshine white which is a white cabinet with a cooler grey tone. The lower cabinets will be husk which is a warm brown wood with a hint of grey (this the reason for the white with grey cool tones). Unfortunately someone had already borrowed the samples from the showroom so you all will have to wait for pictures! I did chose my cabinet hardware and chose champagne gold. This is a brushed gold with less yellow tone in it. Then off we went to look at countertops!

Typically I hate granite and gravitate to quartz or marble. Marble isn't really the most practical for a kitchen so I was looking at quartz only. However one of my good friends recently had granite installed in her kitchen and it is beautiful. When we walked into the stone picking room, I instantly fell in love with a piece of granite. The reasons I typically hate granite are that you have to seal it and it has natural pits in it. My granite in our house now always looks somewhat cloudy and never really looks clean. I hate my current granite. When talking with the salesman and even my good friend, I have learned there are different levels of granite. Ironically the granite in my current house is not top tier granite which does mean it requires more care and actually specific sealers and cleaners. I used a bottle of the granite gold the salesman gave me and my countertops have NEVER looked so good. That being said. I still chose quartz.

The reason I chose quartz is simple, it fits into my style more. I like that quartz can have large veins in it but is still subtle. I like the uniformity of quartz so I know what I am getting. I like that quartz is not porous. I love that it is super durable. The drawbacks to quartz are that it isn't as heat resistant as granite and it is somewhat man made not 100% natural. Quartz is made from ground quartz and polymer resin. This resin is what makes it non porous and better for keeping countertops bacteria free. It also doesn't have to be resealed and is so easy to clean. The quartz I chose I feel fully ties my kitchen together. It has the large subtle grey veins and also has flecks of gold veins. I love it. I even convinced Darren that we should use it as a backsplash behind the range! (Don't worry it can handle the heat I asked and googled.)

Now I just have to wait FOREVER for my kitchen stuff to come in. In the meantime we will start hanging drywall and I will go crazy picking out flooring. Hopefully I'll have that nailed down by next week!


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more