A new month, means a recap of my monthly watches and reviews, so here's what I've watched last month in July. These are the shows that I will be reviewing: Manifest, Loki, Fresh Fried And Crispy, and The Mess You Leave Behind. And these are the movies I will be reviewing: The Forever Purge, Fear Street Part One: 1994, Black Widow, Fear Street Part Two: 1978, Space Jam: A New Legacy, Fear Street Part Three: 1666, Gunpowder Milkshake, A Classic Horror Story, Wrong Turn (2021), Old, and Jungle Cruise. Keep on reading to check out July's monthly reviews.

TV Shows

Manifest - Seasons 1-3 (2018) - Rating: 5/5

Photo Credit: NBC Universal Media

I'm obsessed with Manifest. The plot is so interesting and well written. After landing from a turbulent but routine flight, the crew and passengers of Montego Air Flight 828 discover five and a half years have passed in what seemed like a few hours. Those on the plane were presumed dead and upon their return the passengers realize that their lives are not the same as they were. They hear voices and see visions of events that haven't yet occurred, and they refer to these things as "callings ", which guide those that were on the plane to help someone or themselves. The cast does a really great job and portray their characters well. I have a few character favorites although I found a few characters to be annoying. In season 3 flight 828's tail fin emerges so Ben, Michaela, Saanvi, Cal, the NSA and a team of scientists are trying to figure out what does the tail fin means for the passengers. With the tail fin emerging will they be able to figure out what happened on that flight and to the passengers ? In this season we saw new characters, and new relationships form. We also have more mysteries in season 3 which includes deciphering the callings and what are some of the passengers motives. The characters and the passengers are also met with some challenges such as telling the truth about things, knowing when to slow down and take it easy, and making difficult decisions. Manifest is captivating, mysterious, thrilling, exciting, binge worthy, and a must watch. I'm so crushed that the show was canceled, but with that cliffhanger finale we definitely need another season. 

Streaming On: Netflix (Seasons 1-2), Hulu & Peacock (Season 3)

Loki - Season 1 (2021) - Rating: 4/5

Photo Credit: Chuck Zlotnick/Marvel Studios

The casting was great and the chemistry between Hiddleston and Wilson was fantastic as well as their banter. I also enjoyed seeing Hiddleston and Di Martino (Sylvie) together as well. Wunmi Mosaku (Hunter B-15) and Gugu Mbatha-Raw (Renslayer) also gave us great performances. With this show I didn't know what to expect so I just went along for the ride. For me episodes 1 and 2 were a bit slow, but once episode 3 came the show had me engaged. The whole TVA, timekeepers, and variant plot is also interesting for the show. The effects and visuals in this series are stunning and seeing Loki's character development was really great to see. Marvel fans will enjoy this show and while it started off slow Loki is fun, weird, thrilling and the finale gets you excited for what's coming up in phase four of the MCU. 

Streaming On: Disney Plus

Fresh Fried And Crispy - Season 1 (2021) - Rating: 4/5

Photo Credit: Netflix

We've never heard of Daym Drops, until we started watching Fresh Fried And Crispy. I always enjoy watching food shows where the host go to different states and restaurants to try different foods. Daym visited cities like Savannah, Baltimore, and Denver. And his food reactions were too funny, my family and I could not stop laughing because the things he'd say or just how he'd react to eating a dish was hilarious. The dishes he tried looked so good. At the end of each episode, he'll pick his favorite dish/ "a winner" from the restaurants he'd visited from that city. The traveling, the delicious food, and Daym's reactions were why we really enjoyed the show. I wish the episodes were a bit longer, but I'm hoping we get a season two, I need more good food and laughs lol. Fresh Fried And Crispy is a relatable, fun and laid back show to watch especially if you're a foodie or enjoy yummy food.

Streaming On: Netflix

The Mess You Leave Behind - Season 1 (2020) - Rating: 4/5

Photo Credit: Netlfix

I've had my eyes on this show for a while and I'm glad that I finally gave it a watch. The show takes place between two timelines before and after one of the main characters deaths, Viruca. The show is in Spanish and I like it that way. Viruca's death was thought to be a suicide, but her husband, Raquel (the teacher who replaced Viruca), and a few others don't think it was suicide but murder. The performances in the show were great. Each episode unravels something, has suspicious characters and kept me on the edge of my seat. I also enjoyed the gloomy atmosphere and how tense the show was. On the last episode the truth unravels and we find out what happened to Viruca. If you enjoy thrillers, suspense, and crime-mysteries I say give this show a watch.

Streaming On Netflix

Movies

The Forever Purge (2021) - Rating: 4/5

Photo Credit: Universal Pictures

The fifth and final Purge film, The Forever Purge is here, and I thought it was really good. This film is also a direct sequel to 2016's The Purge: Election Year. The Forever Purge is about purgers who are committing crime after The Purge has ended. The whole idea of purging is scary, but the fact that people continuing after it has ended is very scary. I thought the setting of the movie was interesting and a good choice, because we're so used to the Purge films taking place in the suburbs and in cities, but with the film taking place in Texas, it gave it a western/Wild West feel. In this film the ever after purgers and a large white supremist group who goes by the name the Purge Purification Force, wants to get rid of people who they consider non American, so you can imagine many minority groups are terrified and are trying to survive this chaos as are the main characters of the film. The Forever Purge touches up on many current event topics that are happening in the world, especially in America including racism, immigration, xenophobia, and white supremacy. I'm a huge fan of the Purge films and while the idea of the Purge is scary, the films have been great and this is to be the final film, but I'm hoping for at least one more lol. The Forever Purge is suspenseful, keeps you engaged, terrifying, and a must watch.

Watch in theaters

Fear Street Part One: 1994 (2021) - Rating: 4/5

Photo Credit: Netflix

I'm not familiar with the Fear Street books but that wasn't gonna stop me from watching this movie as well as the sequels. Here's a brief summary of the movie: After a series of brutal slayings, a teen and her friends take on an evil force that's plagued their notorious town for centuries. The cast did a fine job, the characters were likable, and the plot was enjoyable. The kills are gory and the effects are good. The cinematography, neon lighting and the music gave the movie its 90s aesthetic. I also enjoyed the Scream homage in the beginning of the mall killing scene (think Drew Barrymore kill scene). This movie also reminded me of Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark and Stranger Things if the show took place in the 90s. Fear Street Part One: 1994 is a breath of fresh air, it's a fun slasher, eerie, entertaining and will keep you wanting more of the Fear Street movies.

Streaming On: Netflix

Black Widow (2021) - Rating: 4/5

Photo Credit: Jay Maidment/ Marvel Studios

Black Widow was supposed to hit theaters last year, then the pandemic happened which caused the movie's release date to be pushed back a few times, but now the movie is finally out and it's so exciting to see a new Marvel movie on the big screen. Taking place after the events in Captain America: Civil War we see Natasha's life after those events as including some of when she was younger. Let's talk about the cast. Everyone was great in their roles. I couldn't think of any one better than the actors that were selected. When it came to Natasha's "family", each of the actors brought something special to the role to make that character memorable. Scarlett Johansson is amazing as Natasha and seeing her on the big screen one last time in this role is bittersweet. Florence Pugh was really great in her role as Yelena. And within their family dynamic they all added some laughs. Black Widow has the action and it also has that spy thriller feel to it which suits this movie well. I thought Task Master was good, although I'm not familiar with this character. Somewhere near the middle to end, I guessed who Task Master was. In this film we got a little more backstory on Natasha and things we've heard her mention or discuss in some of the other MCU films. I do wish that this movie was released in the MCU earlier in the appropriate timeframe because we know of Natasha's fate. It's like we're getting teased with Natasha even though we're not gonna see her anymore. Black Widow is dark, action packed, fun, entertaining, and a film Marvel fans will enjoy.

Watch in theaters and streaming on Disney Plus

Fear Street Part Two: 1978 (2021) - Rating: 5/5

Photo Credit: Netflix

Part two of Fear Street is out and we're taken to the Year 1978 at Camp Nightwing where we are introduced to some campers and counselors that are both Sunnyvalers and Shadysiders, which the two are rivals. The cast did a good job, we got a slew of new characters and Sadie Sink as Ziggy Berman was my favorite. Drawing inspiration from Friday The 13th and I got some Sleepaway Camp vibes the movie takes place at a summer camp, which is always a great horror setting. I loved the plot of the movie, it really kept me hooked. I loved how this movie was scarier, darker, and more gruesome than the first film, plus we got to see the origin of Tommy Slater. The ending of the movie gave it a great and unexpected twist. I enjoyed Fear Street 1978 more than 1994, it is scarier, intense, thrilling, and entertaining.    

Streaming On: Netflix

Space Jam: A New Legacy (2021) - Rating: 2.5/5

Photo Credit: Warner Bros. Pictures

I don't know about y'all but I wasn't expecting a Space Jam sequel to be made, but now that it's here let's talk about it. The casting and the acting was okay, Zendaya was great as Lola bunny, and Don Cheadle did a fine job. Lebron James doesn't act on the regular so his acting wasn't great and I couldn't help but to chuckle at his scenes because of his acting. The effects were great. I wasn't as entertained and pumped for this movie but I think it's an okay watch. I also feel that the movie could've been about 25-30 minutes shorter. Seeing Warner Bros. properties and characters in the movie were probably my favorite parts of the film plus seeing the looney tunes and hearing familiar music from the first Space Jam was nostalgic. This wouldn't be a movie that I'll watch repeatedly, but kids might enjoy it.

Watch in theaters and streaming on HBO Max

Fear Street Part Three: 1666 (2021) - Rating: 3.5/5

Photo Credit: Netflix

The Fear Street trilogy wraps up with 1666 where we see the origins of the Shadyside curse and the witch trial that started it. I really enjoyed watching this trilogy and this movie wrapped it up for us. All of the witch and curse talk, that we've heard in the previous two films got explained in this one. Even though the story of Sarah Fier took place during 1666, we were able to still see the continuance of 1994, just like what happened in 1978. The pacing of 1666 was steady and worked well for the film. It had to build up so we can see why things were/are happening in the films. The plot twist of the film was not expected and something I enjoyed seeing. The scares were decent but it's the gripping plot that gets the audience. Fear Street 1666 is a satisfactory conclusion to the trilogy. It's thrilling and an entertaining watch. 

Streaming On: Netflix

Gunpowder Milkshake (2021) - Rating: 4/5

Photo Credit: Netflix

I enjoyed Gunpowder Milkshake and I loved the ensemble cast of ladies it featured. It was great seeing Karen Gillan in this role because I thought she nailed this character. And having Lena Headey, Angela Bassett, Carla Gugino, and Michelle Yeoh cast in this film was a fantastic choice. And Paul Giamatti as the antagonist was great as well. Watching this movie reminded me a bit of John Wick, but it's still its own movie and it kicked butt. The pacing of the movie is steady keeps you engaged, and isn't boring. The action was my favorite part of the movie. The fight scenes were violent, stylish, and a stand out. Gunpowder Milkshake is fun, entertaining, and an action packed movie.

Streaming On: Netflix

A Classic Horror Story (2021) - Rating: 3/5

Photo Credit: Netflix

I didn't know what to expect while watching this, but I thought this movie was pretty good. You kind of wonder why the movie is titled the way it is, but a certain character in the film who's familiar with horror movies kind of draws that connection for us. This film will also remind you of a few other horror movies which could also explain the title of the film. And just as it is mentioned on Netflix this movie reminded me of The Cabin In The Woods and Midsommar. The cast was good, so were the performances. I also like the fact that the film was in Italian. The cinematography and camera work was great as well as the setting of the film. The movie gave me creepy vibes. The plot twist for me was unexpected. You think the movie will be one thing but ends up being totally different. Horror fans or fans of suspense I say give it a watch.  

Streaming On: Netflix

Wrong Turn (2021) - Rating: 3.5/5

Photo Credit: Saban Films /Courtesy Everett Collection

This movie is the seventh film in the Wrong Turn franchise and is also a reboot of the film series as well. Overall I enjoyed this movie, I was surprised by how much I liked it. So the plot of this movie is different than what we've seen in the other Wrong Turn films, and it's a nice change. In this film there are no inbred cannibals living in the mountains that attack and eat hikers or people passing through, just a group of people that call themselves The Foundation, a group of settlers over generations that kept from society by living in the mountains, like their own civilization. I think this take and new story is refreshing for the films. The deaths were gruesome and insane. And I enjoyed the ending. Wrong Turn is entertaining, and a breath of fresh air for the franchise.

Rented this from Redbox

Old (2021) - Rating: 4/5

Photo Credit: Universal Pictures

I wasn't aware of the movie until the official trailer released back in May, and after seeing it I was excited to watch the film ! M. Night Shyamalan directed this film so I knew that Old would be unique. A group of vacationers on a beach realize something is wrong there when they discover a dead body, people are aging rapidly and are dying because of the rapid aging. I thought this film concept was interesting and different. The movie had you guessing to what was going on throughout the film. The acting was good, Thomasin McKenzie and Alex Wolff were the standouts for me. Some of the characters had awkward/weird moments, but it didn't badly impact the movie. The cinematography and camera angles were great. I wasn't sure how the movie was gonna end, but I was satisfied with it. Old is enjoyable, thrilling, original, and entertaining. I would definitely recommend watching it if you're interested.

Watch in theaters

Jungle Cruise (2021) - Rating: 4.5/5

Photo Credit: Frank Masi/Disney

Okay so I really enjoyed this movie. Jungle Cruise is directed by Jaume Collet-Serra, who directed some of my favorite films and movies I enjoy watching, so there's probably no surprise that I would enjoy this one. The movie has a great cast. Dwayne Johnson ( Frank) and Emily Blunt (Lily) had fantastic chemistry. The two were funny and the romance was nice to see blossom between the two. And I thought Frank's jokes and puns were so clever and funny.  This movie surprised me with a certain character back story, which I didn't see coming and it was nice to have that in the movie. Jungle Cruise reminded me a bit of The Mummy, and Jumanji, but it's still it's own film. I loved the action sequences, and the visuals and effects are amazing. From beginning to end the film had me engaged and never left me bored. Jungle Cruise is exciting, fun, an adventure, and definitely worth checking out !

Watch in theaters and streaming on Netflix

5/5: Love It, Must Watch

4.5/5: Amazing

4/5: Great

3.5/5: Very Good

3/5: Good

2.5/5: Pretty Good

2/5: Meh (Not Impressive)

1.5/5: Bad

1/5: Horrible

This wraps up my July movie and show reviews. Have you watched any of these films or shows ? Let me know in the comments below. As always thanks for reading and I'll see you for my August round of monthly watches.