"You can take off your mask now and check your hair and your lips," the photographer says as I get ready to take my headshots for work. 

Check my lips? Oh, right. Women wear lipstick.

"My lips always look the same, so they should be fine," I quip back.

As I glance in the mirror, I feel a familiar discomfort rise in my chest. I've never wanted to wear lipstick, and I barely wear makeup. Sometimes I'm afraid that I don't do enough. I grew up during the era of Photoshop and social media. I started learning how to blend photos to hide the acne on my face in high-school. Now, phones have a portrait mode built into them to help me achieve model status. So many of the messages I've received as a female are to change my body to make it more acceptable and accessible. Each day I face the lie that power can be found in my conformity to the modern depiction of beauty.Continue reading "A Modest Proposal"

Comment