
"I read some of the things on your blog," he said.
"How?"
"That's not important. The thing is, you don't write enough about cats."
"I write about cats all the time."
"No, you don't, and you put far too many dogs on it."
"I do not," she said, huffily.
"Yes you do and I hope you take criticism well, because I have some more things to say."
"Great," she sighed.
"To begin with, you're sarcastic. And you write about things people don't like to think about, or even want to know about. And you're too angry. You're not sweet, like some of the other bloggers."
"Seriously?"
"Just trying to help."
"You think I'M the one who's sarcastic?"
"Yes."
She started laughing.
"What's so funny?"
She pointed at him.
"What? I didn't say anything that was in the least bit humorous. You need to chill out," he said. "I'm trying to tell you something important."
She laughed harder.
"What's wrong with her?" asked Jinx, walking over to his dish.
"No idea," he said, staring at her.
"Did you tell her she doesn't put enough cats on her blog?"
"I did."
"I don't think it went well, from the looks of things," said Jinx, nibbling on his treats. "These are good."
She took a deep breath and sighed. The she looked at him and started laughing again. Finally, she leaned against the stair and said, "Hey, Jinx. How's it going?"
"Good," he answered. "No problems."
"Glad to hear it," she said, wiping the tears off her face. "He thinks I'm sarcastic," she snickered.
"He told me," said Jinx.
"Do you think I'm sarcastic?"
"I didn't read your blog, but in real life, no, you're not."
"Thank you."
"You're welcome."
"Jinx," he said. "Don't you have to be someplace else. I'm trying to work here."
Jinx rubbed against her legs, enjoyed a few pets, then wandered off.
"I'm not getting you anymore sardines," she said. "It's too sad and I can't do it."
"What is wrong with you?" he asked. "This place is a killing field, a kill or be killed world. We kill to live."
"Don't care. Not doing it."
"Is this because of what I said?"
"No, it's because of the sardines. They are tiny fish and don't deserve to be die so that everyone can eat them. It's barbaric."
"Aside from bad people, who, or what, does deserve to die? Yet dyin takes place every second."
"It's just too terrible. Tiny fishlings."
"Fishlings is not a word. You should know that. And what will you feed us at your house? Lettuce? If you give us lettuce you can watch us die a slow and horrible death. Either that or we'll have to catch more birds."
"Ack!"
"You can live on bread, but we can't. It's all about protein. Someone dies for our cat food, you know. Someone ALWAYS dies."
"I don't want anyone to die."
"Good luck with that," he snorted, licking his tail. "If you added up everything that died on this planet in one minute, the number would be too large to say before you died of old age."
"Do you think it's like this everywhere in the universe?"
"Not just like this, but we don't know. Could be better, according to your definition of 'better,' or could be worse."
She nodded. "Don't you think it's cruel and horrific that you can't live without eating other living beings?"
"I don't think about it at all, actually. It's what I am."
"Maybe I'm in the wrong place. Maybe I don't really belong here."
"Who does?" he said. "Maybe we all landed in the wrong place, or maybe humans were put here because you're all too dangerous to be allowed to be anywhere else."
"Maybe."
"Ants are everywhere. I think this is a Planet of the Ants," he snickered.
"Funny."
"But true. Admit it, you can't knock over a rock without them teeming by the billions. We need ant eaters around here."
"That's really a good idea," she said, smiling. "We really could use a lot of anteaters. And goats, to mow the lawn."
"What do goats taste like?"
"I'll see you tomorrow," she said, packing things away. She leaned over and kissed him, ruffled his fur, and whispered sweet nothings into his ear. She felt him purr and kissed him again, as he was drifting off to sleep.
"Sarcastic, my ass," she said, as she walked away.
"I heard that," he said.
"You were supposed to."
He smiled and fell into his dream.
No comments:
Post a Comment