On scorched and conflagrated sands,

In sapped and grudging desolation,

The solitary Upas stands

Grim sentinel of all creation.

- from The Upas Tree (Анчар) by Alexander Pushkin

read more
a variety of other translations
listen in Russian

Praa Sands, Cornwall, May 2021

Praa Sands was a regular summer pleasure in my childhood. On a recent visit, I was shocked to see the toll that erosion has taken in the last 50 years.
This solitary tree has descended from the gardens above and now stands grimly on the sands below. It immediately reminded me of the Pushkin Anchar(Анчар) poem, but the desiccated tree also had its own poetic words attached:

Touching the cliff I held on so hard

Now here's where I stand, still proud but scarred

My bark has come off and my leaves are all gone

But I am again that proud tree that is still hanging on.

- from The Beach Tree by Beach Bum

full version below

 


aDSC_0636_pp

-

Copyright Debbie Smyth, 30 July 2021

Posted as part of Becky's TreeSquare

...