This week while cleaning the kitchen I found some half-empty packages of Hanukkah candles and when I gathered the candles I noticed that I have a good selection of colored candles that would be a shame to throw in the trash, so I came up with the idea to make new and stunning candles.

After I collected the Hanukkah candles I remembered that I have a few other old candles in the warehouse that raised dust and lost their shape after I used them for a long time, so I took them too and added to the rest and decided to start the craft.

I knew the craft of dissolving wax before, but I searched around the house for items that I could pour the liquid wax into and use them to actually create new and stunning candles.

So the first idea that came to my mind was the collection of seashells I have, after a long summer (which is not over yet), during which I visited the sea every Saturday, I managed to collect a beautiful and large collection of diverse seashells and it suited me well for the task.

So after placing the selected shells on the counter with the face up I started to melt the wax of the old candles. How did I do that? I filled a third of the pot with water and brought them to a boil. After the water boiled I lowered the flame and put into the water pot a metal container I found in the kitchen when inside I had already inserted the selected candles that I had broken and removed the wicks from them. When boiling, take into account the desired shade you want to reach and according to this choose the color of the candles you want to melt: for example, to get an antique pink wax, I used to melt white-cream-pink candles.

While the wax is melting, cut the wicks to a size that fits the size of the shells and place them in the center. Once the wax is completely liquid pour it carefully into the shell cavity and stop for a moment before filling to the brim.

Because the shells have a relatively small space to fill - the wax will dry quickly - in just a few minutes. It should also be taken into account that because the shells contain little wax so their burning time is relatively short so the recommendation is to light them only for some peak moment in the meal and for the purpose of taking pictures or using them for beauty and decoration.

Ok, I have a lot of candles left so I kept looking for ideas for items I could make candles out of and also found: old gerber jars that I cleaned and kept for just such moments where it fills with inspiration.

I also found an old metal watch box that I purchased years ago that I decorated with gold stickers so I could hide the caption and of course to beautify it.

Finally, I also came up with the idea of using the corks of empty alcohol bottles that for some reason I have not thrown away yet - corks made of aluminum.

So the craft is the same craft, place the wicks in the center of the container and then pour the loom wax into it and finish leaving to dry and harden the wax. It should be noted that the larger the container and the larger amount of wax we poured into it, the longer the waiting time for the wax to dry and solidify. So what do you guys think of the candles I created?


This free site is ad-supported. Learn more